There was a change of plans in the trial on Tuesday, with testimony initially expected to come from Brigitte Böhnhardt, the mother of one of the now-deceased men who allegedly killed eight Turks, a G
At 4 p.m. on June 9 2004, an explosion shattered a street in the Mülheim district of Cologne. Most of the people who lived and worked on the street, Keupstrasse, were immigrants from Turkey. At least 22 of them were injured, some of them seriously, by a nail-bomb left on a bicycle in front of a hairdresser's shop. Germany's interior minister at that time, Otto Schily, was quick to rule out a terrorist motive for the attack. One day after the attack, he said that the investigation pointed to a criminal background.
German police will re-examine the security camera footage of the 2004 bomb attack in Cologne to uncover the possible role of the main neo-Nazi suspect under arrest. Presiding Judge Manfred Goetzl made this surprise announcement on Thursday, during the final minutes of the 45th hearing of the high-profile NSU trial. Goetzl said that he had asked Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) to re-examine the camera footage with enlarging the picture and improving the image quality. “Image of one of the pedestrians in this video may make anyone think that there is a certain resemblance to Ms.
The mysterious death of a 21-year-old German man has triggered questions after it was revealed that he was one of the witnesses in the ongoing neo-Nazi case and had been due to testify on the day he died. The German man, identified as Florian H., was reportedly burned to death when a fire devoured his car on Sept. 16 in Stuttgart. On the same day Florian H. died, he was due to meet with a special team that was investigating the murder of police officer Michelle Kiesewetter by the National Socialist Underground (NSU) movement, according to Hürriyet.
German prosecutors said Tuesday they are investigating whether three alleged neo-Nazis suspected of a series of racist killings and bombings were also responsible for an earlier explosives attack not previously linked to the group.
Having refused to comment on her alleged crimes, Beate Zschäpe, the only surviving member of the murderous NSU neo-Nazi terror cell, remains an enigma. With her trial set to begin on Monday, prosecutors hope to illuminate the character of a woman described by neighbors as outgoing and likeable.
The highest-profile neo-Nazi murder trial in Germany in decades opened Monday amid tight security and intense media interest, with the five accused appearing in public for the first time since their arrest more than a year ago.
Police erected security barriers in anticipation of possible protests by far-right extremist groups, while hundreds of reporters queued outside the Munich courthouse in the hope of gaining one of the few available seats in the packed courtroom for the start of a trial scheduled to last for more than a year.